Friday, September 21, 2012

Gay Marriage Opinion: Revised Edition


And also a little update, in my last post I talked about how I was really indecisive about gay marriage. I've basically decided that although I don't agree with homosexuality, that it would be wrong of us as a nation to withhold the rights of others. Some people are trying to say it goes against what the Founding Fathers intended with the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, but that's bollocks, because in the DoI it says that ALL MEN (even the gay ones *gasp*) are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Well, if they want to get married, and you're restricting their ability to do that, guess what? YOU ARE DENYING THEM THEIR RIGHT TO THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, WHICH IS GOING AGAINST WHAT THE FOUNDING FATHERS WANTED, WHICH MEANS YOU ARE THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL ONES, NOT GAY PEOPLE.


Boom. Logic, without having to get religious (which shouldn't happen, because of separation of the church and state and all that jazz). It's really simple, people. If you don't like homosexuality, then don't be homosexual. If you think it's a sin, then don't practice it. I think drinking and smoking are sinful, but you don't see me giving people crap about it, or trying to prevent them from drinking or smoking. If two consenting adults WHO JUST SO HAPPEN TO BE THE SAME GENDER want to get married, then let them.


See how easy that was? I can maintain my religious beliefs while still letting other people who don't share them go on their merry way. Christ said to love one another, and He didn't give any conditions on who we're supposed to love; He meant ALL people. I know we all have free speech and yada yada yada, but don't be hateful or cruel. And if you think the opposing side is being hateful and cruel, turn the other cheek (another thing Christ said to do). Etiquette, people. And if you feel like the other side doesn't have, it's no excuse for you to lose yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment